McLaren MP4-12C Revealed
McLaren Automotive has announced that it will be launching a high-performance sports car of a global basis late in 2010. It took the wraps off the MP4-12C today.
The car will go from 0 to 200 km/h in under 10 seconds and then back down to 0 km/h in just 5. The top speed is in excess of 200 mph.
Thanks to a one-piece molded carbon-fiber chassis and a body consisting of aluminum and low-density sheet-molding compound panels, the car will have a dry weight of about 1,300 kg, which is said to be “at least” 75 kg lighter than its nearest competitor.
Other lightweight features:
- A brake system using forged aluminum and cast iron—it is 5 kg lighter than the optional carbon-ceramic system
- A lithium-ion battery that saves 5 kg
- A magnesium cross-car beam to support the dashboard
- A 3.8-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 engine
- Rear-mounted engine cooling radiators that minimize the amount of tubing required, thereby minimizing the fluids contained in them so as to cut weight
- Hexagonal aluminum wiring that saves 4 kg versus round wire
Pricing? Somewhere in the range of £125,000 to £175,000. But if you have to ask. . . .