GM, Isuzu JV to Add Diesel Parts Plant in Ohio
General Motors Co.’s Dmax diesel engine joint venture with Isuzu Motors Co., is constructing a components plant in Brookville, Ohio.
The partners are investing $175 million in the facility, which is expected to open at the end of next year. About 100 people will be employed at the 251,000-sq-ft factory.
The Brookville plant will machine engine blocks and heads for the Duramax 6.6-liter diesel V-8s assembled in nearby Moraine. GM says the new facility will help it meet increasing demand for Chevrolet and GMC medium- and heavy-duty diesel-powered pickups.
GM owns 60% of the venture, and Isuzu holds the remaining 40% stake. Moraine started producing Duramax engines in 2000.
Dan Nicholson is vice president of General Motors Global Propulsion Systems, the organization that had been “GM Powertrain” for 24 years.
General Motors is one company that is clearly embracing the diesel engine.
Mercedes has been putting diesels in vehicles since 1926. It has been offering them in the U.S. since 1949. And 2013 is seeing a range of offerings, including in its popular GLK SUV.