| 11:36 AM EST

Icahn Hikes Federal-Mogul Buyout Offer


#Bridgestone #FederalMogul

Share

Facebook Share Icon LinkedIn Share Icon Twitter Share Icon Share by EMail icon Print Icon

Investor Carl Icahn, who already owns 82% of Federal-Mogul Holdings Corp., has upped his bid to acquire the remaining 18% of the Southfield, Mich.-based auto parts supplier.

Last February Icahn offered to buy the outstanding shares at $7 each, a 41% premium. Now his Icahn Enterprises LP holding company is offering $8, or about $243 million, for the stake. The stock closed last week at $8.15.

Icahn’s original bid came after Federal-Mogul decided in January not to spin off its Motorparts aftermarket business as a separate publicly traded company. The company opted instead to retain both operations, each with its own CEO.

Analysts note that last December Icahn prevailed in a bidding war with Bridgestone Corp. to acquire U.S. auto parts and service chain Pep Boys for slightly more than $1 billion. Icahn is combining the 800-store chain with the Auto Plus aftermarket retail network he acquired earlier last year.

Related Topics

RELATED CONTENT

  • 8 Rules for Getting Things Done Through People

    Effective management is a timeless skill—as demonstrated by this treasure of an article from the AutoBeat Group archive. Although the tools of the trade have changed and proliferated, the basics remain the same. Here are 8 old school (and just darn practical) rules for being an excellent manager. 

  • The Changing Definition of 'Niche Vehicles'

    Once the playground of exotic car makers, the definition of a niche vehicle has expanded to include image vehicles for mainstream OEMs, and specialist models produced on high-volume platforms.

  • Truck vs. Truck; Steel vs. Aluminum

    According to Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet truck marketing director, “We engineer and build our trucks with customers’ expectations in mind.”