| 1 MINUTE READ

Koenigsegg Readies Cheaper Supercar with Hybrid Power

Sweden’s Koenigsegg AB says it will unveil a “budget priced” $1 million hybrid-electric supercar next year.
#Koenigsegg

Share

Facebook Share Icon LinkedIn Share Icon Twitter Share Icon Share by EMail icon Print Icon

Sweden’s Koenigsegg AB plans to unveil a “budget priced” hybrid-electric supercar next year, CEO Christian von Koenigsegg tells Autocar.

At an estimated $1 million, the unnamed model will cost less than half that of Koenigsegg’s ultra-pricey Agera and Regera hypercars.

Development has been accelerated with a cash infusion from National Electric Vehicle Sweden, which acquired a 20% stake in Koenigsegg in January. The two companies also formed a joint venture, in which NEVS holds a 65% stake and Koenigsegg owns the remaining 35%.

Autocar says the new car’s hybrid drivetrain will feature a 5.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 with camless valve control. The high-powered V-8 also will be used in the $3 million Jesko, which was unveiled at the Geneva auto show in March.

The camless technology, supplied by Koenigsegg’s Freevalve AB subsidiary, has been showcased in several prototype vehicles. Instead of a camshaft, the system uses pneumatic-hydraulic actuators to open and close engine valves—similar to the setup in some Formula One racecar engines—to improve efficiency and reduce complexity.

Related Topics

RELATED CONTENT

  • 2018 Lexus NX 300h

    While you are probably familiar with origami, the classic art of paper folding that results in things like birds that flap their wings when you pull the tail, or plot devices in one of the Blade Runner films.

  • Ford Makes an Astounding Achievement

    Ford has made an accomplishment that will never be bested, never even be tied.

  • Nio Plant Venture Lands $1.5 Billion Investment

    Chinese electric-car startup Nio Inc. is forming a manufacturing joint venture with Beijing E-Town International Investment and Development Co., which is investing 10 billion yuan ($1.5 billion) in the business.