Toyota Announces Two New Hybrids for MY 21
According to Bob Carter, xvp Sales, Toyota Motor North America, their plan calls for 25% of sales to be hybrids by 2025. The new Sienna and Venza will help.
At a time when people are generally hunkered down and thinking more about whether they can get frozen French fries at the supermarket than buying a new vehicle, at a time when gas prices nationally are on average less than $2.00 per gallon, Toyota is getting ready for the Return by announcing the development of two all-new model year 2021 vehicles, the Sienna minivan and the Venza crossover, both of which have standard hybrid powertrains.
Under the hood of the Venza hybrid. (Images: Toyota)
What We Know About Each
- Fourth generation. Based on the global TNGA-K platform
- Designed and engineered in California and Michigan
- To be built at the Toyota Princeton, Indiana plant
- Safety Sense 2.0 standard (pre-collision with pedestrian detection; full-speed range dynamic radar cruise; land-departure alert with steering assist; lane trace assist; automatic high beams; road sign assist)
- Powertrain consists of a 2.5-liter DOHC four with two electric motors
- Total horsepower: 243
- Estimated fuel efficiency: 33 mpg combined
- AWD available (uses a third electric motor). Torque distribution is up to 20:80 on slippery surfaces
- Based on the TNGA-K platform
- All models are AWD
- Hybrid consists of the 2.5-liter DOHC four with three electric motors
- Safety Sense 2.0 standard
- Total horsepower: 219
- Estimated fuel efficiency: 40 mpg combined (in LE trim; trims include XLE and Limited)
- Dimensionally between the RAV4 and the Highlander
- Two rows of seats
- 36.3 cubic feet behind the second row.
Once the playground of exotic car makers, the definition of a niche vehicle has expanded to include image vehicles for mainstream OEMs, and specialist models produced on high-volume platforms.
How GM, Toyota and a Couple of Gutsy Managers Made the U.S. Version of the Two-Seater a Reality
It’s the fifth generation of a vehicle that has been increasing in sales year after year since its introduction in 1997.